Eager to Serve
Changing Lives with Each Smile
When Dr. Sims learned of the link between oral health and systemic diseases, his interest in periodontics was born. With a passion for oral health and a commitment to changing people’s lives with every smile, it was almost destined for Dr. Sims to have a career in the dental field. He graduated from the University of Alabama’s School of Dentistry in 1994, then went on to specialize in Periodontics at UAB where he completed his residency and received a Master’s of Science in Oral Biology.
- Dr. Kevin M. Sims was born in North Dakota but raised in southern California and southern Nevada.
- He attended the University of Nevada-Las Vegas and Idaho State University where he received degrees in Radiology Technology and Pharmacy. Dr. Sims practiced for several years first as a radiological technologist then as a critical care pharmacist in several hospitals in Nevada, Idaho and Alabama.
- Dr. Sims graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Dentistry in 1994. He then completed a three-year residency program in Periodontics at UAB, receiving his Masters of Science in Oral Biology as well.
- Dr. Sims served as a research fellow during the final year of his residency and completed research in animal modeling for future regenerative procedures.
- Masters of Science in Oral Biology from the University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Diplomat of the American Board of Periodontology
- First Distinguished Young Alumni Award recipient of UAB School of Dentistry
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists
- Fellow International College of Dentists
Professional Activities/Community Involvement
- Actively involved in the Birmingham District Dental Society and has served as the Continuing Education Program Chairman; Was appointed to the Peer Review Committee and the Executive Council
- Is a faculty member of the Alabama Dental Hygiene Program, instructing the dental hygiene students in pharmacology
- Served a five year term on the American Dental Association Test Construction Committee writing test questions in the periodontal and implantology disciplines for the National Dental Boards
- Holds the academic rank of Clinical Associate Professor at UAB School of Dentistry, Department of Periodontics. Most recently Dr. Sims was asked to serve on the Dean’s Council for the UAB School of Dentistry
- Secretary/ Treasurer Board of Dental Examiners of Alabama
- Member, American Board of Dental Examiners
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Alabama Dental Association
- Birmingham District Dental Society
- Alabama Society of Periodontists
- Southern Academy of Periodontology
- American College of Dentists
- International College of Dentists